Melanie A. Grand
Role: Faculty Emeritus
- MSEd, Missouri State University
- BS, University of California-Santa Barbara
- Certified Hospitality Educator, American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute
- HRA 218 - Safety and Sanitation
- HRA 330 - Banquet Operations
- HRA 436 - Casino Operations
Research and professional interests
- The impact of food and beverages on human history
- New developments in food safety and casinos
- Grand, M. (2016). Forecasting the potential impact viral outbreaks will have on the United States tourism industry. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 4(1).
- Hein, S. G. & Grand, M. (2011). Investigating hospitality student perceptions of academic integrity. The Consortium Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 16(2), 5-14.
- Hein, S., Ehlers, A., & Grand, M. (2007). An examination into the customer service of U.S. hospitality programs in the initial stages. The Consortium Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 11(1), 55 – 63.
- Grand, M. Ten Foods which changed the History of the World. College of Natural and Applied Science Public Lecture Series, 2012. Missouri State University. April 10, 2012.
- Grand, M. (2013). Food Safety in the United States. Farm to Table—Trend or Fad. Examining best practices of Food Purveyors Technology and Delivery Systems. Cochran Fellowship Program. Sponsored through University of Missouri Extension Office.
- Grand, M. (2012). Comparative Analysis of Restaurant Inspections to Customer Perceptions of Food Service Safety. Referred poster at iCHRIE conference in Denver, Colorado.
- Grand, M. (2011). Challenges of Developing Government Food Safety Programs with American Standards. Cochran Fellowship Program. Sponsored through University of Missouri Extension Office.
- Grand, M. (2011). "he Science behind the Art of Food, The American Diet and how we got there, and Ten Foods and Beverages that Changed the History of the World. Nutrition Educators Conference in Kirkville & broadcast around the state of Missouri, Missouri. December 2011.
Awards and honors
- Faculty Excellence in Service, College of Natural and Applied Sciences, Missouri State University, 2015.
- Faculty Excellence in Teaching, College of Natural and Applied Sciences, Missouri State University, 2012.
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education District VI Conference–Gold Award for NPR feature: Backyard Barbequing, 2007.
- First Place in Missouri’s BEST OF BEEF Chef’s Contest, $1,000 winner, Sponsored by Missouri Beef Industry Council.
- Teaching Excellence in IDS 110