Dr. Stephanie G. Hein
Dept of Hospitality Leadership
Dr. Stephanie Hein is department head of hospitality leadership. She publishes and presents in the areas of curriculum development and review, student recruitment and learning, hospitality financial analysis and food service operations, and academic-industry collaborations.
Hein currently serves as a commissioner for the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration, a board member for the Association of Hospitality Financial Management Education and vice chair for Springfield's Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- Ed.D. in Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis, 2010, University of Missouri - Columbia
- M.B.A. in Management, 2005, Missouri State University
- B.S. in Hospitality and Restaurant Administration, 1995, Missouri State University
- Certified Hospitality Educator, American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute
- HRA 720: Hospitality Change Management & Leadership
- HRA 499: Internship in Hospitality
- HRA 490: Advanced Hospitality Leadership
- HRA 310: Analyzing Financial Performance in Hospitality Operations
- Association of Hospitality Financial Management Educators: Board of Directors
- International Council on Hotel Restaurant and Institutional Education: Treasurer
- Springfield's Convention and Visitors Bureau: Vice Chair
- Rotary International: Board of Directors Public Relations
Research and professional interests
Refereed journal articles (published):
- Hein, S. G. (2013). Localized revenue implications of severe tornado outbreaks on the lodging industry. The Journal of Hospitality Financial Management, 21(1), 4-16. Go to: http://news.missouristate.edu/2013/08/20/tornado-3/ or http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10913211.2013.820068?journalCode=uhfm20
- Hein, S. G. (2012). The learner-centered classroom: A case for applying learner focused strategies in the hospitality classroom. The Consortium Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 17(2), 27-39.
- Hein, S. G. & Riegel, C. D. (2012). Human resources and organizational management content in the hospitality curriculum: How professionals view it. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 11(2), 165-181. Go to: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15332845.2012.648897#.VzSWIoSDFBc
- Hein, S. G. & Riegel, C. D. (2011). Hospitality industry professionals’ perceptions of the importance of content areas in the finance and accounting curriculum. Journal of Hospitality Financial Management, 19(2), 3-32. Go to: http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1274&context=jhfm
Conference proceedings (published):
- Hein, S. G., & Riegel, C. D. (2011). A systematic model for program evaluation and curricular transformation: A tale from the trenches. Annual ICHRIE Summer Conference Proceedings. Denver: ICHRIE. Go to: http://scholarworks.umass.edu/refereed/ICHRIE_2011/Friday/11/
Other notable publications:
- Hein, S. (2007). Techniques of Food Preparation, 2e. United States of America: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Hein, S. (2004). Techniques of Food Preparation, 1e. United States of America: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Awards and honors
- Recognized by the Springfield Business Journal as one of Springfield’s Twenty Most Influential Women of 2014
- Excellence in Service Award, College of Natural and Applied Sciences, Missouri State University, 2012
- Provost’s Academic Leaders Program, Missouri State University, 2009
- Faculty Fellow, Missouri State University’s Living Learning Communities initiative, 2007, 2009
- Recognized by Missouri State University’s R.E.A.L. Bears Student Program as a faculty member “Who Has Made A Difference," 2008, 2009, 2010
- Master Academic Advisor, Missouri State University
- USA Funds Grant - $185,000 to support the formation of the Hospitality Leadership Academy in southwest Missouri, spring 2015
- Darden Foundation Grant - $25,000, spring 2008
- Missouri Beef Council Educational Grant - $16,719, fall 2003–spring 2009
Area of expertiseStudent affairs Tourism and travel
6 Common Job Interview Questions and Answers
Hospitality expert Dr. Stephanie Hein shares a few common job interview questions and answers.
Make the Most of Summer Travel
Hospitality expert Dr. Stephanie Hein offers some tips and advice on maximizing your summer vacation.
Feeling Stuck in Your Current Hotel Job? Tips for Moving up the Ladder Quickly
Hospitality expert Dr. Stephanie Hein explains how hotel employees can increase their chances of being promoted.